Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I See the Expectations, But They Are Not So Great




After only reading the first ten chapters of Dickens' "Great Expectations", I already feel emotionally connected to Pip. He is threatened, abused, and neglected by most of the people in his life, but he still feels like he belongs. Pip's personality sends a great message to the reader by saying that you can dream and that you can set great expectations for yourself. In the first ten chapters, Pip's mannerisms are that of a young boy. As a kid, your instinct is to respect your superiors, which is what Pip does when he steals food from his family for the homeless man. This week in my Spanish class, we are watching an Argentinian movie called "Valentin." This movie is about a young boy named Valentin, who is much like Pip, and is set on pleasing his superiors. Like Pip's aunt, Mrs. Joe, Valentin's father abuses him and does not care about him. Pip's love interest, Estella, is not the nicest girl for Pip, but the fact that she is mysterious, and most importantly not interested in him, Pip still goes after her. It's strange for me to feel such an emotional connection to a fictional character, but Pip is my exception.

4 comments:

  1. This book is one of the greatest bildungsromans ever written. I think Dickens wants you to identify with Pip, and to recognize his journey, so hooray Taming of the Reader! Valentin may also be a bildungsroman. You should check it out and see if you are right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read...well, started,...this novel for my research paper last year, and I couldn't force myself to finish. I could also connect with Pip, but I just didn't care for this Dickens novel. It is cool to read somebody else's interpretation of the novel though. If you are interested, there are some excellent criticisms on the novel which give further insight to his journey and also hidden themes etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, you should definitely watch the movie with Ethan Hawke, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Robert DaNiro in it because it is more of a modern American retelling of the story because it was really tough to read. Also, if your into reading dramatic romance stories, read Othello by Shakespeare because it is definitely worth reading. If you have any questions about it just ask me. Also, thanks for leaving me some feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did love that movie. Interesting trivia: Anne Bancroft, who plays Miss Havisham in the movie, also played Mrs Robinson in the Graduate. Opposite ends of her life, for sure. ALso she was married to Mel Brooks, the great comedy director. Small world.
    Did I tell you I loved your avatar for the blog?

    ReplyDelete