Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Ode to Poe

Since seventh grade, Edgar Allan Poe has been my favorite short story writer. In seventh grade, I read "The Tell-Tale Heart" for the first time and it was amazing! I'm not a huge horror story person, but Poe makes horror interesting to me. During my Sophomore year, I read "The Fall of the House of Usher" and I learned the concept of doppelgänger. Since then, I have encountered doppelgänger in Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Also, I read "To Helen" my Sophomore year and instantly loved it. I loved the poem so much that I recited it my Junior year in English class for Poetry Out Loud. Poe's creative way of writing intrigues me and I always feel compelled to look deeper into the story to figure out the character's motive and dissect their personality. I will always recommend Poe to anyone who loves a good scare and wants to read something interesting. Long live Poe!

1 comment:

  1. Exactly why I'm writing my research paper in Creative and Critical on Poe, and why I chose his poetry to explicate in AP Lit!

    You should definitely check out my blog post about Poe, too, Tyler. I took a much different approach, I suppose! Long live Poe~~~~!

    ReplyDelete